EVA jigsaw mats are an excellent choice for creating comfortable and safe flooring in various settings, from gyms to play areas. However, one common issue that arises with these mats is the initial odour they emit upon unpacking. The off-putting smell can be a concern for customers, but the good news is that there are effective ways to reduce this odor while still adhering to the terms and conditions of typical returns policies. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore various strategies to tackle this issue, ensuring customer satisfaction without compromising your business’s policies.
Understanding the EVA Jigsaw Martial Art Mat Odour
Before delving into solutions, it’s important to understand the source of the initial odor from EVA jigsaw martial arts mats. EVA, or Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate, is a popular material for puzzle mats due to its durability, shock-absorbing properties, and ease of cleaning. However, like many synthetic materials, EVA can emit a distinct odor when first unpacked. This odour is often described as a “rubbery” or “plastic-like” smell and is a result of the manufacturing process.
While the odour is temporary and typically harmless, it can be unpleasant for customers, leading to concerns and potential returns. To ensure customer satisfaction and uphold your returns policy, consider the following effective ways to reduce and eliminate the initial odor from EVA jigsaw mats.
- Proper Storage and Ventilation
Proper storage and ventilation are key to reducing the initial odor from EVA jigsaw mats. When mats are first unpacked, they may release a stronger odor due to being tightly packed in a box. To mitigate this, follow these steps:
- Unbox the mats in a well-ventilated area, such as outdoors or a spacious room with open windows.
- Lay out the mats flat on a clean, dry surface. Ensure they are not stacked or tightly packed together, allowing air to circulate around each mat.
- Leave the mats exposed to fresh air for at least 24-48 hours. This will help dissipate the odor naturally.
- If possible, place fans or air purifiers in the room to aid in the ventilation process.
- Baking Soda and Charcoal
Baking soda and activated charcoal are well-known odor absorbers. They can be used to help neutralize the initial odour from EVA jigsaw martial arts mats. Here’s how:
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda or place activated charcoal in a shallow container or tray.
- Set the container near the mats, ensuring it doesn’t touch the mats directly.
- Leave it in place for 24-48 hours, or until you notice a reduction in the odor.
- Replace the baking soda or charcoal as needed until the odour is gone.
- Vinegar and Water Solution
White vinegar is another effective natural odour eliminator. It can help neutralize the EVA mat odor while remaining within your return policy terms. Here’s how to use it:
- Create a solution by mixing equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Lightly mist the mats with the solution, being careful not to oversaturate them.
- Allow the mats to air dry completely. The vinegar smell will dissipate as it dries, taking the EVA odour with it.
- Repeat the process as necessary until the odor is gone.
- Sun Exposure
Although sunlight can be a powerful natural deodorizer and disinfectant. Direct sunlight can make EVA mats warp, degrade and bleach their colour. For this reason we do no recommend this option.
- Essential Oils
Essential oils are a fragrant and natural way to mask odors. Here’s how to use them:
- Dilute a few drops of your preferred essential oil (e.g., lavender, lemon, or eucalyptus) in water.
- Lightly mist the mats with the diluted essential oil solution.
- Allow the mats to air dry. The pleasant scent of the essential oil will help mask the EVA odour.
- Ensure the mats are completely dry before use or storage.
The initial odour can take time to fully dissipate especially in hot enclosed facilities with poor ventilation. The odour is harmless and does go away on its own. These tips might be used to speed up the process. Remember that XPE mats do not have any odour, consider this option if odour is very important to your business.